FAZELEY in 1851
WHITE'S HISTORY, GAZETTEER AND DIRECTORY OF STAFFORDSHIRE, 1851, describes FazeleyFAZELEYis a considerable village at the junction of the Fazeley and Coventry Canals, in the pleasant vale of the Tame, 1 and a quarter mile S. of Tamworth.
The township of Fazeley includes the neighbouring hamlets and liberties of Bonehill, Bangley, Bitterscote and Dunstall, and also the north end of the Park of Drayton Manor, the seat of Sir Robert peel, Bart., who is lord of this manor, and principal owner of the soil, and whose grandfather established here two extensive cotton mills on the River Tame.
Here are monthly fairs for sheep and cattle, held on the second Mondays in January, February, April, October and December; the last Mondays in May and June; the third Mondays in July, August, Sept., and November, and March 21st.
The wake is on the first Sunday after Old Michaelmas day.
Fazeley township comprises 1827 acres, and 1690 souls and forms, with the exception of Dunstall and Bitterscote liberties, a chapelry district.
The Church is a neat building, which was erected and endowed in 1810 by the first Sir Robert Peel, Bart., whose grandson, the present baronet, is patron of the perpetual curacy, now valued at £235, in the incumbency of the Rev. Cyprian Thompson, who has a good Parsonage House.
The church has no burial ground, but a subscription is being raised for the purchase of one, and the erection upon it of a church large enough for the greatly increased population of the district.
In the village is a Methodist chapel.
There are several other neat mansions in the township, which is separated from Tamworth by the river Tame.